Security screening is carried out before entering the United Nations Headquarters. Please arrive at least 60 minutes before the start of your tour.
For security reasons, children under 5 years of age are not permitted on tour.
Photo ID required
All visitors to the United Nations 18 years and older (and unaccompanied children 12 years and older) require government-issued photo identification issued by a Member State or an Observer State of the United Nations to enter UN Headquarters. Photo Identification must be original (no photographs nor photocopies accepted) and can include a passport, drivers license or national identity card.
Security pass needed to enter UNHQ
New UN Access – First go across the street from the UN to the Visitors Check-in Office, located at 801 First Avenue (Corner of 45th Street) before entering the UN.
All visitors to the United Nations Headquarters (with or without a tour, or guests attending the Delegates Dining Room) now require a UN Security pass to enter the United Nations.
This security pass must be obtained at the Visitor Check-in Office at 801 First Avenue (corner of 45th Street, opposite UN Headquarters) before entering the United Nations. A photo ID is required (as above).
For groups of visitors with 5-19 persons, only one representative of the group must present identification at the Visitors Check-in Office. The representative will be given a UN security pass and wrist bands for the remainder of the group members, who can wait outside. For larger groups, one person out of every twenty must present identifcation as above.
After receiving a security pass, proceed across the street to the United Nations Visitors Entrance (46th Street and 1st Avenue) for security screening and access to the UN Headquarters.
What (not) to bring
The following items are strictly prohibited:
- any liquid, including water
- cans and bottles
- food or beverages
- backpacks and bags larger than 14" (35cm) wide x 13" (33cm) high x 4" (10cm) deep
- aerosol containers
- non-aerosol spray (prescriptions for medical needs are permitted)
- any pointed object other then pens and pencils (i.e., knives, knitting needles, letter openers, etc.)
- electric stun guns, martial arts weapons or devices
- guns, replica guns, ammunition, and fireworks
- knives of any size
- mace and pepper spray
- razors and box cutters
- baseball caps and sunglasses cannot be worn during the tour
The following items are allowed:
- battery-operated electronic devices, as well as medical devices
- cameras, video recorders, or any type of recording device
- creams, lotions, or perfumes
- strollers (but are not permitted on the tour route)