Security screening is carried out before entering the United Nations Headquarters. Please arrive at least 60 minutes before the start of your tour.
For security reasons, children under 5 years of age are not permitted on tour.
Photo ID required
All visitors to the United Nations 18 years and older require government-issued photo identification issued by a Member State or an Observer State of the United Nations to enter UN Headquarters. Photo Identification must be original (no photographs nor photocopies accepted) and can include a passport, drivers licence or national identify card.
Security pass needed to enter UNHQ
New UN Access – First go across the street from the UN to the Visitors Check-in Office at 801 First Avenue (Corner of 45th Street) before going through UN Security Screening.
Visitors to the United Nations Headquarters (with or without a tour and guests attending the Delegates Dining Room) now require a UN Security pass to enter the United Nations premises.
This security pass must be obtained at the Visitor Check-in Office at 801 First Avenue (corner of 45th Street, opposite UN Headquarters) before entering UN Security Screening. Government-issued photo identification for everyone 18 years and older must be shown to receive a pass.
For UN groups of visitors with five persons or more, only one representative of the group must present identification at the Visitors Check-in Office. The representative will be given a UN Security pass and identifying wrist bands for the remainder of the group members, who can wait outside the UN.
What (not) to bring
The following items are strictly prohibited:
- any liquid, including water
- cans and bottles
- food or beverages
- backpacks and bags larger than 14" (35cm) wide x 13" (33cm) high x 4" (10cm) deep
- aerosol containers
- non-aerosol spray (prescriptions for medical needs are permitted)
- any pointed object other then pens and pencils (i.e., knives, knitting needles, letter openers, etc.)
- electric stun guns, martial arts weapons or devices
- guns, replica guns, ammunition, and fireworks
- knives of any size
- mace and pepper spray
- razors and box cutters
- baseball caps and sunglasses cannot be worn during the tour
The following items are allowed:
- battery-operated electronic devices, as well as medical devices
- cameras, video recorders, or any type of recording device
- creams, lotions, or perfumes
- strollers (but are not permitted on the tour route)