Due to the popularity of briefings, availabilites are limited. Please complete the form below.
What are briefings?
Our Speakers Bureau gives you the opportunity to have a United Nations expert talk to your group and provide an in-depth look into the latest issues on the UN's agenda.
The goal of our briefings is to further an understanding of and an appreciation for the work of the United Nations. This provides an invaluable educational opportunity tailored specifically for your group.
You can request a briefing when planning to visit the United Nations Headquarters in New York. If you are not travelling to New York, you can request a video-conference/Skype or host a UN speaker at your own location.
Who are briefings for?
While any group can request a briefing, the most frequent requests come from:
- high school and university students
- teachers and educators
- business and government representatives
- non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
Details about Briefings
- Requests must be made a minimum of six (6) weeks in advance for briefings at UN Headquarters and eight (8) weeks in advance for briefings at your location.
- A minimum of 20 participants is required for briefings at UN Headquarters or for video-conferences. A minimum of 100 is required to have a speaker at your location.
- Should you wish to take a Guided Tour of the UN, please book the tour first and then request a briefing.
- Briefings at UN Headquarters are available on weekdays from 10:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Room availability is very limited. Arrangements for rooms and speakers are subject to change.
- If you wish to arrange a briefing with a Member State of the United Nations or a Permanent Observer, you must contact the Mission directly.
- Please arrive at least 30 minutes before your briefing.
How much do briefings cost?
There are some costs associated with a briefing which might include:
- The use of audio-video equipment depending on the size and requirements of the group
- The rental of venues outside Headquarters (if no conference rooms are available at UN Headquarters)
- For briefings at UN Headquarters, for every 20 people, there is an administrative fee of $ 40.00 payable prior to or on the day of the programme (by cash or cheque made out to “United Nations Guided Tours”)
- To host a UN speaker at your location, the inviting organization is responsible for the speaker’s travel, terminal expenses, lodging and hospitality costs. (UN speakers cannot accept any honoraria.)
How do I request a briefing?
Complete the relevant form for briefings:
For any questions contact: Briefings@un.org or call 1-212-963-7710.
UN4U: United Nations Works for You
UN4U is an outreach campaign to high school students which brings UN officials to speak at schools. UN4U was created to establish a dialogue and actively engage and inspire youth to take an interest in global issues. Based on a topics of interest to the students, a UN official with expertise in that particular area will travel to the school to share their knowledge and experience with the students.
When first established, UN4U focused on outreach to New York City public schools and was centred around UN Day (24 October). Soon after, UN4U expanded to include both public and private high schools with speakers travelling beyond New York City’s five boroughs to suburban communities and other states, and now spans the entire academic year.
What started in New York City quickly became a global campaign with the support of UN partners and worldwide. Now, after eight years, this international effort has reached over 75,000 students in countries around the world.
Should you wish your high school to participate in UN4U, please contact Briefings@un.org